Friday, April 4, 2014

Need Approval?


I am reading "Crash the Chatterbox" by Steven Furtick. In the first chapter he shared a story of preparing for a sermon and wanted to share the process, by posting a picture on Instagram.  He placed the books strategically on his desk, continuing to rearrange them, to make the picture more appealing to his followers. Steven Furtick said, "I felt the need to construct a certain image to present online. For what benefit? More likes on Instagram. More button pushing." 

I can relate. It is easy to get sucked into living a post to post, tweet to tweet, status to status life.  I have to admit, there were days I have been more concerned about the perfect Facebook status to describe my moment, than actually enjoying and living IN the moment. It gets better... Maybe even a time or two, I had a Facebook status in mind, BEFORE I even lived the moment! Have you ever forced a moment, just for the Facebook status?  Honesty, people.

I quickly realized my silliness, shook my head, rolled my eyes at myself, and refocused. I don't want to live the moment for the approval or "likes" of others.

Why do we seek approval? 
Seeking approval spawns from insecurity. 
"One of the main reasons we struggle with insecurity: we're comparing our behind-the-scenes with everybody else's highlight reel." -Steven Furtick

Who's approval do we need? 
"When you realize that God is the only One who really has any lasting reward to give, He becomes the only One whose approval you desperately need." -Steven Furtick

How are you living your life? 
Post to post, tweet to tweet, status to status...seeking approval and trying to prove yourself. 

OR 

Moment to moment...realizing you "have nothing to prove, because you are already approved" by God!  

0 comments: